Sunday, May 13, 2012

MPM--Merry May

I wonder how many years it will take me to get the feel for the rhythm that April is the last "normal" month? In May, there are graduation and end-of-year parties, final performances, and endings of all kinds of "specials," like gymnastics, and starts of others, like swimming. I enjoy the transitions and the celebrations of a year's worth of accomplishments, but it seems early for me. Nevertheless--the world spins, and we're going with it.

Monday: chicken nuggets from the freezer, leftover veggies from grilling.

Tuesday: Taco Tuesday. (On Saturday, I was casting about for dinner ideas and "Tacos?" was hopefully suggested from the back seat. Good to know it's still working out for some of us.)

Wednesday: Ravioli, plus some other stuff from the freezer for the boys. (I need to clear our the freezer, I have two different freezer-filling events coming up, more below.)

Thursday: probably pesto quinoa for the boys and something easy (leftovery) for the grownups. I need to keep plugging on the freezer/cabinet cleanout.

Friday: Baseball game and end of year party and graduation party. Not sure how we'll get it all in but we're working on it.

Last week went well, in that I really did stick to the program overall. I think we're done with apricot chicken; I keep trying to recreate a dish I loved and not succeeding, and I think I'm finally ok with the fact that it's due to changing tastes. I just wish there were things I really enjoy as much now as I remember liking stuff before I started eliminating processed foods! The pork tenderloin was good, though--not amazing, but yummy and easy and will stay in the rotation.

I'm very excited, for the last week of the month I have two freezer fillers coming, both thanks to my moms' group. We're doing a fundraising night at Dinner A'Fare, where we make meals in advance and a portion of the proceeds is going to the chapter--woohoo! And second, the "working moms" subgroup was bemoaning the dinner hour and we came up with a crazy scheme where we each do bulk freezer cooking of one dish and trade. I don't know that we'll ever do it again, the poor woman who did the spreadsheet must have wanted to cry between the no red meat/vegetarian/omnivore/etc. requirements, I think it was tougher than she thought it would be to pull it all together. But we got it; I'm making several batches of a pork tenderloin dish and then will get chimichangas and more, though I forget what. So I really just need to get through this week and then I'll have some pre-done things ready to go.

Check in at I'm an Organizing Junkie! for more great meal ideas!

1 comment:

Mom24 said...

I would think freezer meals would be awesome in your shoes. What a great idea. Eating/Diet restrictions can be so challenging. Navigating my dad's and my son's for Mother's Day about made me crazy.

I hope your kids eat the meals, that's always my challenge.

I don't know if you would like it or not, but when I bake chicken I sometimes brush it halfway through with some microwaved (melted) apricot preserves. Really yummy and easy.

Hope you have a good week.