Friday, February 20, 2009

FFOF 67--Getting Salty

Four Foods on Fridays, brought to you by Valerie at Food, Crafts and Fun. Join in here!

#1. Potato chips. Flavored? Regular, ridged or stacked?

My current favorites are ruffled Baked Lays. I like the crunch and pringle-ness of them. I am also a fan of Herr's, an east coast brand. We took the tour of the factory and it really does inspire loyalty to see how your snacks are made! And I do love Salt & Vinegar, but my tongue can't take the burn anymore, so I'm back to plain or sour cream & onion.

#2. Cheese doodles. Yellow or white? Puffed or crunchy?

Pirate's Booty or Trader Joe's baked for the kids. (And me snarfing off them.) My OB/GYN loves the little round ones by Planters, so I brought three cannisters each time I gave birth! Gotta keep the doctor happy and I am not above bribery. As for myself, though, nothing beats crunchy Cheetos. But I can't even remember the last time I had one.

#3. Pretzels? Your favorite shape? Favorite flavor?

Well, soft pretzels are the hands-down favorite in this house. But if we're having regular from-a-bag pretzels, Utz Extra Darks are the favorite, followed closely by the pretzel rods and Snyder's Sourdoughs.

#4. Share a recipe for salsa or dip.

Based on a Rachael Ray recipe, this is sort of a side dish, sort of a salsa/dip.

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
1 bag frozen corn, defrosted if it's winter, or not in summer
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1-3 tomatoes, chopped
1 bunch finely chopped cilantro
5 green onions, finely sliced, white and some green
1 small red onion, finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped (optional)
1 tsp OR Tbs minced garlic, depending on how you like it (hot or not)
1/4 cup lime juice
1 tsp cumin
1 avocado - peeled, pitted, and diced (optional but yummy!)
2 tablespoons olive oil, or to taste

Mix all together in bowl. Serve with something scoopable.

4 comments:

Mom24 said...

Not a big potato chip fan, but I love cheetos--what's up with that? :) We also love soft pretzels and Snyder's Sourdoughs.

Happy Friday!!!

brandy101 said...

I like all of those snacks but never enough to actually BUY them at the grocery store.

Come to think of it, I think the only snack item we keep around the house is microwave popcorn.

My downfall used to be reduced fat cheese-it crackers.

Anonymous said...

Your dip has a lot of fresh ingredients in it. That's the kind we like!

Anonymous said...

Baked Lays are my favorite, too. I like how thin and crunchy they are.