Saturday, October 25, 2008

Four Foods on Friday on Saturday Meme

Ok, I've been off this one a while but can't resist cream cheese. I'm a Philly girl, after all!

Want to play along? Go here.

#1. Name something you use cream cheese in/on.

Obviously bagels, which is, in my mind, the highest and best use of cream cheese ever. My mother used to put a slab on canned pears and call it a salad. My, the culinary wonders of the 1970s never fail to boggle the mind. But my two favorite non-bagel uses for cream cheese will be in #4.

#2. Do you use yogurt in any recipes?

I wish I used it in more but I'm still learning to work with it. Greek yogurt has been a boon. I love tzatziki and raita, and wish I knew how to make either or both but the recipes I've tried haven't quite done it for me.

#3. Macaroni salad. What do you like/put in yours?

I'm a purist. Creamettes noodles, mayo with red vinegar as dressing, celery chopped small, salt, pepper, celery seed if I have it.

#4. Share a recipe that you use sour cream in.

The hands-down favorite of the 21&under generation in our house: Hot Pizza Dip.

Ingredients:
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 can (8 ounces) pizza sauce
2 tablespoons chopped green pepper (optional)
2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion (optional)
Breadsticks or tortilla chips or corn chips

Directions:
In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and Italian seasoning. Spread in an ungreased 9-in. microwave-safe pie plate.
Combine mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses; sprinkle half over the cream cheese. Top with the pizza sauce, remaining cheese mixture, green pepper and onion if using.
Microwave, uncovered, on high for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is almost melted, rotating a half turn several times. Let stand for 1-2 minutes; or bake, uncovered, for 15-30 minutes at 350 until cheese is bubbly.
Serve with breadsticks or tortilla chips. Yield: about 3 cups.


And one of my mother's favorites:

Preheat oven to 375. Take four chicken breasts and pound thin (or be me and start with the Italian style cutlets). Smear cream cheese over chicken. Roll up each breast individually with cream cheese inside. Wrap with slice of bacon and secure with toothpick if needed. Place in baking dish and bake 40-50 minutes until chicken is cooked. Broil last five minutes to crisp bacon if desired.

This might be one reason my mother is no longer with us, but every once in a while, this satisfies as something my mother used to make for me that I can replicate.

3 comments:

valmg said...

That pizza dip sounds really good.
Thanks for playing FFOF!

MsTypo said...

Hi, i'm visiting from Four Foods! That pizza dip looks sooooo yummy!! I may have to see if i can dig up all the ingredients because your recipe looks like a keeper! :) YUM

Corrin said...

That bacon wrapped chicken sounds like a great comfort food.

www.corrinrenee.com