Wednesday, April 1, 2009

WFMW--Backwards Edition--soy milk and tooth whiteners

Hello, blog-advisors! I need two suggestions from the world of the web. This post was actually written a year ago, and I kept missing the backwards WFMWs! But I'm still very interested in your replies.

1) My boys are completely dedicated to a particular brand of light soy chocolate milk, which has saved me as it has been a winter of runny noses and avoiding dairy to keep mucus production low. To my own surprise, after a bout of my own sickness, I realized I felt better without dairy too and am contemplating skipping it on a more routine basis. While some things will leave my diet permanently only with immense struggle (hello, pizza, it is you I crave the most), really, on a daily basis, it's the milk in my cereal that I have most frequently. Do you have a soy or rice or almond milk that you adore and have found to be a workable substitute?

2) On a lovey-dovey night recently, my four-year-old son and I were giggling as he was brushing his teeth and I said, "Let me see those pearly whites! You know that's what some people call teeth, because of their pearly-white color." And with the beautiful brown eyes only a four year old can muster, he looked lovingly at me and said, "Yeah! And they can call yours 'golden!'"

Um, Ouch. And I gave up soda and chocolate for Lent! And I don't drink coffee!

So apparently I should be in the market for a tooth whitener. Any you love?

My goldens and I thank you.

Feeling helpful today? Go share what you know with the wondering at We Are THAT Family, the new home of WFMW.

11 comments:

Aubrey said...

I love Silk soy milk. And even with my problems with dairy, I can still eat cheese in moderation - and yogurt I eat daily, without problem. Before getting married I used the Crest Whitening strips and I thought they worked well.

Anonymous said...

Cute post.
My husband has tried several whiteners, and honestly what worked best was being on our toothpaste. It's not a quick process like actual whitners, but he's a smoking coffee drinker and I swear over several months his teeth are probably 3-5 shades whiter Well they went from golden to white anyway. We use Crest Baking Soda and Peroxide Whitening.

Lora said...

we are strictly on the Blue Diamond Almond milk. It comes in chocolate, vanilla, and plain. We drink plain.
Vanilla has less calories (40 as opposed to 60) but it has a weird aftertaste. I buy it at Trader Joes, usually a dozen at a time. They are in those boxes like rice milk, and cost about $2 a piece

Also, here I am:
http://twitter.com/Lora_

brandy101 said...

I am back to dairy after being off it for many years (well not cheese etc...) Actually MILK, I would say.

My fave substitute used to be shelf-stable (refrigerate after opening) called Soy Slender - it is sweetened w. splenda, is low fat, calorie and carb. Vanilla or Chocolate are good on plain cereals. I never cared for the cappuccino flavor.

BUT...I stopped with all the soy stuff for various reasons. I actually make an effort to have milk each day (in ceearel, etc.) since the hysterectomy b/c I worry about osteoporosis.

I cant really use whiteners b/c I have two fake (bonded) teeth that are permanently a certain color. But I do know that swishing with diluted hydrogen peroxide after brushing works well AND is good for your gums. Just be careful not to get it on clothes, towels etc as it has a bleaching effect. And dont swallow it. Yech!

Kasey said...

Hi. I came across your blog from WFMW. My husband and I used to be vegan, and we still eat dairy in moderation. We love the Whole Foods brand rice milk for our cereal. We occasionally use their soy milk, but soy produces extra mucus in the body just as dairy does.

Precision Quality Laser said...

Scrub your teeth with a little bit of baking soda..whitens them right up and it is waaaaaaay cheaper than the commercial whiteners :) For fun you can rub a slice of lemon over your teeth after you have applied the baking soda...it will foam because of the chemical reaction between the base (baking soda) and the acid (lemon)! Have fun!

Kelly said...

i bet you never would have thought that buying some milk for me, would lead to a new found staple in your home!

Rice milk is a little thin for me.

Almond milk, although creamy, leaves my mouth feeling dry.

Amber said...

I'm pretty dedicated to my teeth, likely because I paid for my own braces as an adult. :) But I love the Crest Whitestrips. They gave me the least amount of sensitivity and worked really fast... I only use a box every 2 years or so, and then only if I've found a really good deal!

Domestic Goddess said...

We use TJ's brand of Almond milk and choc almond milk. They have a brand of unsweetened that we use in cereal and then we add healthier choc syrup for special treats.

Rice milk has waaaaay too much sugar. Soy milk is out for us because of allergies. Pacific makes good stuff but it is more expensive.

Also? Crest White strips. They taste gosh awful but they work.

Raising Olives said...

Just had to say, LOL. So, funny what our kids say.

Sorry, I'm absolutely no help otherwise.

Blessings,
Kimberly

Mom24 said...

I'm no help either, but I have been similarly humbled. :-)