Thursday, April 3, 2008

Can't Resist This One--Four Foods Friday

#1. American cheese. Sliced fresh or prepackaged processed cheese product?

Little known fact: I grew up on government surplus cheese. No, really. Between my dad working for a school district, and therefore able to add personal bulk food orders to the district's, and (far more often) my grandfather standing in line for cheese and bringing it to us as though in trade for the dinners he'd share with us, I barely knew anything else existed. We always had a foot long block of cheese in the fridge and used one of those scrapey cheese thingees to get slices. So government surplus is really my favorite. It reminds me of my childhood.

#2. What is your favorite cracker?

Trader Joe's Rice Cracker rounds. I don't even let them in the house.

#3. What hot breakfast cereal do you like? Think oatmeal, farina, grits, etc.

Not many. If pressed, I guess oatmeal but none of them are big hits in my house.

#4. Share a recipe that uses corn.

OK, this is why I'm here. I LIVE for this recipe in summer. If Epicurious does nothing else for me ever again, this recipe will have been enough to earn my eternal gratitude.

Corn, Zucchini, and Tomato Pie
from Pot Pies: Comfort Food Under Cover | January 2000
Diane Phillips

This pie is made from the overflowing bounty of the backyard garden. Fresh corn and zucchini seasoned with dill bake underneath Parmesan-crusted tomatoes to make a scrumptious entrée that can be served warm or at room temperature.

Servings: Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Ingredients
3 cups fresh, or frozen and defrosted corn kernels
5 small zucchini, cut into matchstick pieces
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon fresh dill weed
2 tablespoons melted butter
3 to 4 vine-ripened tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch slices
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
2 tablespoons olive oil
Preparation: Preheat the oven to 375°. In a 13 by 9-inch ovenproof baking dish, combine the corn, zucchini, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of pepper, the dill, and the melted butter, tossing to coat the vegetables. Cover the vegetable swith the tomatoes. Sprinkle with the remaining salt and pepper.
In a small bowl, combine the cheese and the bread crumbs. Sprinkle the mixture over the tomatoes and drizzle with the olive oil. Bake the pie for 30 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbling. Remove it from the oven, and let it stand for 5 minutes before serving.


Wanna play? Click here.

3 comments:

Domestic Goddess said...

Hm. I grew up on Gov't Cheese, too. My grandmother gave us her stuff because my parents were on and off of medical assistance and WIC due to having multiple foster children in the house. I loved that stuff. The powdered milk? Not so much!

valmg said...

Thanks for playing FFOF!
Stumbled.

Corrin said...

I've never had gov't cheese, but my husband has. his mom ran a daycare when he was little and she used to get it for the kids!

www.corrinrenee.com