Saturday, December 22, 2007

Out of Fall Into Reading

So, here we are at the end of fall, approaching solstice. Time to assess the fall challenge...

My original list post is here. Now here's where the list stands.




Finished:

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

The Price of Admission by Daniel Golden

Three Martini Playdate: A Practical Guide to Happy Parenting by Christie Mellor

Simple Abundance: A Daybook of Comfort and Joy by Sarah Ban Breathnach

Playful Parenting by Lawrence J. Cohen

Started:

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
Really liked the beginning, except the one gory bit, but once I realized I couldn't make either book group night featuring this book, I moved on to others. Can't wait to finish it though.

Between Parent and Child by Dr. Haim Ginnot
I keep flipping through to parts that I hope will help me communicate better with my son. Many of the suggestions work; I love the "reflecting what you hear" rather than "jumping in with advice or reaction" technique. However, this works much better with my even-tempered younger son than my hot-headed older one. Still, instructive.

Life of Pi by Yann Martel
This is on so many people's "favorite books" list, I've been eager to read it forever. I know that Pi ends up on a boat with a tiger. But despite dutiful reading, I can't even get to the boat.

Excellence Without A Soul: How a Great University Forgot Education by Harry R. Lewis
How can a higher-ed junkie pass up this title?! Only later did I realize I have met his wife several times professionally, and probably him, too. I love his frankness, his historical perspectives and personal beefs, and realizing that many of the things that drive me crazy about the institutions where I've been are just endemic to higher education in general.

Didn't Even Get There:

The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards
This has to be next on the list since it is the next one my book group is discussing.

The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan
This was added because it was the Fall Reading Project book where I work. However, the program coordinator never gave me a copy. I know, there are libraries, but when I had in hand multiple others, it was hard to not just figure I'd wait until my "official" copy arrived. It may be a while. Since at this point, it already has been.

My Life with the Saints by James Martin
Oh, this makes me sad. He and I were in school together and have friends-of-friends in common. I love hearing him on NPR and got this book last Christmas, so I was hoping to, you know, finish it within the YEAR I got it. Apparently that wasn't meant to be.

A Tree Grows In Brooklyn by Betty Smith
This was for one of my book groups. I never read it before, either, so this seemed like as good a time as any. But I suspect somehow it will still be there on my spring list.

Hey, not bad overall. I knew it was ambitious when I listed it. And the challenge was great for keeping me on track and not buying any more books (ok, I bought three books this fall) until I tackled some more of the ones I had. Overall, I have to call it a success; thanks for hosting, Katrina!

No comments: