Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Works for Me Wednesday--taking the train!

Wouldn't you love to have 45 minutes a day to read? Or nap? I just found that time: I took the train to work today.

Really, I forgot how much I missed this. I have been driving to work lately (which I also enjoy; NPR on the radio instead of the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse CD!), but when I was full-time and pre-kids, I was always on the train. I have tried to convince myself that it wasn't a good idea with the kids--I needed my car "just in case"--and while that is somewhat true, the ride was bliss. I broke through to the India stories in Eat Pray Love, I put on my makeup before a seatmate joined me, and I had a nice, easy walk to my office with time to gather my thoughts and see a different part of campus. (Of course, the walk to catch the train was a little more pressured, but a small price to pay.)

So, as a reminder to myself: as much fun as it is to take the boys on a train ride, they aren't just for the kids anymore! When I can, I'm taking the train or other public transportation. That is working for me this week; what's working for you? Go check out Shannon's blog to see other ideas.

3 comments:

ellen b. said...

Boy if the train is available that's the best way to go...
http://happywonderer.wordpress.com/2007/10/30/wfmw-halloween-fun-tongue-in-cheek/

JCK said...

And you help the environment along the way! Less stress... Great idea! I hear that book is fabulous. It is next on my "to read" list.

the Hatchel family said...

We live in Europe and love public transportation. It's one of the biggest things we miss when we come back to the U.S. I'm glad to hear of more Americans taking advantage of it.