Wednesday, October 10, 2007

WFMW--Recipes on Palm Pilot

I'm lucky enough to have an uncle who is waaaay into gadgetry. Many many years ago, he was an early Palm Pilot enthusiast. After watching the Newton crash, I was skeptical. But then he bought one for his wife, who loved hers, and gave one to her sister, my mother, so they could be "matchy-matchy." My mother was a gadget fanatic herself; she adored James Bond movies primarily for the scenes with Q. So when she lost hers, she got another, then promptly found the first one and gave it to me.

Well. This was the coolest little gadget I'd owned up to that point. And it still is very useful for things like calendars and always having a backup to an address book. But the best "mom" use I have for mine is storing recipes. The newer Palms have huge memory capacity, and I have about 200 recipes, some tried and true, some on the "maybe someday" list, all stored under a recipe category in my "memos" section. This allows me to use the search function to find recipes for whatever I have in the fridge, or if I'm in the market and need to do a double-check of critical ingredients, it's all right there. It's been a huge help to me in my efforts to learn to cook. For more great ideas, check Shannon's blog at Rocks in my Dryer!

1 comment:

Phyllis Sommer said...

yes! i do the same thing. i thought i was the only geeky cook our there:-) sometimes i don't keep the whole recipe, jsut a list of ingredients that i would need to pick up. often i'll forget a critical part of a recipe that i'm hping to make and the list is so helpful. i'm sure i look so goofy consulting my pda in the grocery store. but it works for me too!