Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Works for Me Wednesday (menu planning for the week)

First, and most critical, what's working for me today is that my sister-in-law came through her brain surgery. Many thanks for the prayers and good wishes you all sent our way. They got both tumors, though one was tricky; and tonight she could move extremities and recognize family members, which are hopeful signs for recovery.

The other thing that's working for me: this menu planning. I know it's not a real revelation but folks, I am a convert. It seemed like a truly insurmountable and somewhat ridiculous idea, to plan what I would be eating SIX DAYS from now, but wow. It turns out, I really like not going to the market every day. Once upon a time, before I had two small boys, I loved just wandering the grocery aisles of our small town grocer, picking whatever looked appealing for the night's dinner. I'm over it. I'm loving the meal planning and thanking OrgJunkie for coordinating and getting me hooked. I'm also thanking Frugal Living's Mary Anne for the pantry challenges, which have really helped control the bills, control my impulse buying (a tube of polenta? really?), and inspired me to discover new recipes for using what's in the house already.

Simplifying dinnertimes around here (and shopping less) is working for me! What's working for you? Find out from others at Rocks in My Dryer.

3 comments:

TexasTanya said...

I'm with you. I love a planned menu. I don't so much love planning it, but the work is worth the effort.
Great tip!
And I'm happy to hear about your SIL. I will say a prayer for her tonight.
Blessings to you!

Niki said...

Your menu looks great! Thanks for visiting me!
bleessings,

Unknown said...

Great news about the sister-n-law!

I must get on the menu planning bandwagon. Now that I have a slow cooker, I've no more excuses!