Saturday, October 27, 2007

Starting Smart Habits Saturday

When I was growing up, and, in fact, well in to my 30's, I was a champion sleeper. I always felt so bad for people with insomnia or other sleep issues since I could sleep anytime, anyplace, anywhere. And I often did, though I was also a night owl. College was great for me; I'd study from 10pm to 2am and have classes start at 10 or 11 in the morning, and my circadian rhythms were never happier.

Since the boys were little and nursing all night, however, this hasn't been as true. Especially since the little one had a rock-solid 1am habit, I learned that it was better for me to just wait up for it than to actually get some sleep and try to drag myself out of it.

Now, though, the little one is long past the 1am feeds, but I am often acting as if he is still at them. I got in the habit (a-ha!) of using that time from 11pm to 1am to be at the computer or catch up with my favorite TV shows (tivoed (though I should say "digitally recorded" or just showing).

It is time to break that habit. So, my friends, my Smart Habit this week is weaning myself from my night owl ways, at least for now. (Plenty of time later when I'm retired.) My goal: to only watch tv in the bedroom past 11pm. (Yes, I know you aren't supposed to have a tv in the bedroom. One habit at a time.) If I'm in bed watching, I'm more likely to fall asleep and stay that way (our tv has a sleep mode where it turns itself off). And with any luck, that will help get me off the computer by then too. We'll see how that goes by next week.

7 comments:

Lara said...

It seems that getting to bed at a decent hour is difficult for many of us! I was also a great sleeper until I started having babies. Dang them!

Ice Cream said...

Good luck. I recently wittled my TV watching to one day a week and sure makes a difference.

Rebecca said...

I am SO a night owl, have trouble falling asleep, and SO not a morning person. Unfortunately the kids are morning people - early morning people. I fall asleep to tv too which means I've been sleeping on the couch (no cable in the bedroom). I have always fallen asleep to the TV so I understand having one in the bedroom. Good luck on your habit this week & I hope you get more rest.

Ter said...

good luck! I have similar SHS going on.

Ter said...

Hi, thanks for visiting me too. :) If you click the words Spaghetti Squash, it will lead you to the recipe. :) If that doesn't work, let me know and I'll send it to you.

Hope you'll visit again!

Sonja said...

Oh yeah...more sleep is good. This is one of my habits this week too! And I totally hear you and the 1am feeding thing. My little one is past that, but that is what got me started on this bad habit! (I feel better deflecting some of the blame to her at least :) Good luck!

Unknown said...

Oh, what's that song...

"A hard, habit to breaaaaaaakkk!"

From one night owl to another, I totally sympathize. (Though I usually just up to 11.)