Sunday, November 24, 2013

Stop All the Clocks

I had a nice little post started with the title "Can You Feel the Pages Spin?" but then my father in law had a stroke and died unexpectedly last week. It is very hard to focus on food right now but we have to get back to it shortly, the budget can't sustain too much takeout in these pre-Christmas days. Herewith, the pre-written post.

Here we are in "that" time of year already...kids have half-days, then the holiday...I am almost ready to go. We traded pumpkins for turkeys in the living room and kicked the first set of leaves to the curb. Deep breaths...here we go!

Monday: (I know now, it will be funeral leftovers.)

Tuesday: tacos (even this week!)

Wednesday: spaghetti (even this week!) Well...we'll see. It's actually my husband's birthday so I am not sure what happens here.

Thursday: Gobble gobble! Not at our house this year--not sure what we are bringing yet.

Friday: Faux leftovers. We go to my husband's family's for Thanksgiving so I always buy a turkey breast and my favorite kind of stuffing for our house for the next day so there are "leftovers" for us. Of course now that I think about it, that's going to be not very gluten free so I am not sure how that will go this year.

Last week, we (ha, ha! "We." So cute. I. I) made the cider pork in the crockpot. There was too much cinnamon but that was me, not the recipe (I had a pouring mishap). Otherwise, this was great. It was a little off our usual since it was too sweet for cheese, but I made an ersatz cole slaw (part of a bag of shredded cabbage mixed with cider vinegar and mayo sauce) and that went really well with it. This will stay in the rotation. It's not as good as the other one, but it was easier and still delicious.

I also made sausage and tomato sauce in the crockpot, and I am so pathetic, I used a recipe, here, minus the peppers.  I was very afraid of underdone sausage but it was actually overdone. I will try for "just right" next time.


2 comments:

Mom24 said...

My heart is just aching for you. You've been through so much. I'm very sorry for your loss. Very sorry. Keeping you all in my prayers.

Oonie said...

Thank you. He was just wonderful. We all miss him terribly and it's going to be a rough holiday season. Your prayers and kind comments are appreciated.