Sunday, September 15, 2013

In the Swim

So, one full week of school and work down, for almost everyone--my older son immediately picked up the cold that was flying around the school so he was out for a day and probably should have been for longer. But all the activities are underway and we are ready to be in a routine.

Alas, that will need to wait as I got the sad news today that my uncle passed away, unexpectedly, in his sleep. He was in his late 70s and so this is really what we all pray for but it is hard to be one of the ones left behind.

This week:

Monday: I never did make the one pot chicken dish, but with still a world class collection of potatoes and tomatoes, we're going for it tonight with a salad and kale chips if I get my act together.

Tuesday: Taco Tuesday, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

Wednesday: Wednesday Spaghetti is a close second in my beloved nights.

Thursday: Leftovers or freezer food or pesto quinoa. I am not really in shape to go hunting stuff down to do right now.

Friday: Pizza night. Because I am not knocking myself out this week.

Last week, I finally made the pineapple pork chops. They were a complete no-go for my sons but that just left more for me and my husband, and that made us happy. They were great. I left them in a little longer because my chops were pretty thick, but if you have people in your house who would eat this combo, by all means, try it. Apparently it started life as a chicken recipe, so if you think it sounds intriguing except for that pesky pork part--this could still work for you.

In a pig-filled week, I made this crockpot pork tenderloin. I doubled the recipe and froze half. Again--no-go for the boys but my husband enjoyed it. Thanks to my cousin for posting it on facebook!

Slow Cooker Pork Tenderloin

2 pound Pork Tenderloin
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
1 TBS Yellow Mustard
2-3 TBS maple syrup
2 TBS olive oil
2 TBS Diced dried onions
1 1/2 TSP Garlic Salt or Powder
Mix ingredients above. Pour over Tenderloin in the crock pot and cook on low for 6 hours.


And to continue the crockpot theme: I tried the crockpot chicken marbella. Again--my husband loved it but no one else did. (Sensing a theme?) Part of this, I think, is my own inability to really warm up to dark meat chicken. It did not do the boneless breasts justice, but the drumsticks I threw in were gobbled quickly by my husband.

That's about all I can do right now. Wishing you a week ahead with all good news.


2 comments:

Mom24 said...

So sorry about your uncle. Hope your son's all better. I'm still searching for routine, maybe someday, no? I tried a brine for pork chops this week, awesome. It made a world of difference for the pork. Glad you and your hubby enjoyed the pineapple pork. I have a love/hate relationship with the slow cooker. Love the idea, often less than thrilled with the results.

Have a good week.

Anjali said...

SO sorry for your loss. Saw the picture on FB was that him? What a handsome fellow.