Sunday, February 5, 2012

MPM--Hits and Misses

We're getting eager for pitchers and catchers to report (have you seen isitspringtrainingyet.com?) but there were lots of new things this week, including a 3 star broccoli. Read on...

Monday: Deferred stir-fry from last week. (I forgot to get a protein for it so we had quinoa instead.) But, my one little guy had a tummy bug this weekend so a stir fry may not work...gentle chicken of some kind, let's put it that way.

Tuesday: Lego build! Out to dinner with boys. Them: Chik-Fil-A. Me: Saladworks. Dad: on his own.

Wednesday: Taco Tuesday Wednesday

Thursday: Thursday Wednesday Spaghetti

Friday: Pizza at school fundraiser Bingo Night. Woohoo!

Last Monday, I thought I was so clever, pre-prepping everything for dinner so we could eat early. Thank goodness I did, because the boys' activities let out 30 minutes late so it was still a mewly scramble to dinner. I made the chicken in white wine and garlic-mushroom sauce and alas, it was not a hit. Neither boy at the chicken at all. I thought I got the same kind of chicken but perhaps not, or maybe I had it in the oven too long. But the leek-sundried tomato version from MLK Day was much better.

Another disappointing miss: I made the boys the Trader Joe's falafel they adored two weeks ago. Both of them looked repulsed that I would even ask them to be in the same room with it. It was a hungry night for the boys. I don't get how they love it one week and gag at it the next. Sigh.

However, I finally did make the crack broccoli. Boy howdy--I think I could quintuple that recipe and not have extra. There is shrinkage, but it's also just that good. I had it with and without lemon juice and it is equally excellent both ways. Three out of four of us adored it and--well, Mr. Picky tried it, which is light years ahead of usual. I think watching the other three of us gobble from the bowl convinced him. And he was his usual self in the evaluation: "Well, at first, I liked the flavor on my tongue. Then it started really tasting like broccoli and I didn't like it again." Fair enough. But it was a big week for him: he also tried a dried beef dip, and loved it, and taco meat, which he said he will try again next week, when I make it without the onion, which really skeeved him. But he actually ate some beef in his taco! This is serious progress.

On one of my at-home days, I felt like a light lunch and made Heidi Swanson's herb cream cheese scrambled eggs. This is not a ground-breaking, can't find it anywhere else recipe, but it's a good one and it works. I used an ounce of cream cheese and two eggs, because that's what I had, and dill, parsley, and scallions, because that's what I had. And it was perfect for what I needed on a chilly morning that turned in to a winterspring day.

In the egg mode, I tried the bacon and apple quiche from the New York Times. I have to just stop. These things sound so awesome but I do not have the touch with quiche. The dough dies on me, so I use the frozen ones. Then it's clear that if I use all the filling it calls for, there is no room for the eggs and cream, so I use two, but then there's not enough eggs and cream. Plus, how do you tell when blue cheese has gone bad? Fear not, you can tell. That's why it's not called "slimy cheese." I salvaged enough. But then the cookie sheet warped in the oven...and that's all I'll say about that. Whining aside: they were delicious. But they grouched me out, so they are off the rotation.

Finally, I also made Anjali's "Giving In" soup but with modifications...I used canned beans, which I don't think helped. We are also not a tofu/tempeh family so I skipped that...I think I will add some of the beans I made to thicken up the rest a bit, but it was still a nice option on a chilly night at home.

Have a great week, all, and remember to check out the options at I'm an Organizing Junkie!

Oh...and speaking of that Organizing Junkie...I am taking inspiration from her 29 days of Organizing...I love that she picks the short month, it seems less intimidating! It's beyond time to move our son from his "nursery" (ahem, 8 years later) in to his big-kid (and straight through) bedroom, but the holdup is the room that will be his is currently the office. Or was. It's really just a disaster storage area now. If I get the nerve to share photos I will. But I will probably do photos at the end.

1 comment:

Mom24 said...

I definitely want to see photos! Good for you. I want to do a lot of organizing in our home, I just can't seem to find the time. Ah, priorities.

Sorry about the quiche battles. Been there, though I'm not waving the white flag just yet.

Hope it's a good week.