Sunday, March 27, 2011

MPM--Another Short Post

Hmmm...not to chase away readers in the first line, but...Wow, is this blog getting unexciting. Still, that was the goal: to get some meals going that the family likes. And it has also helped me with things like figuring out how much food we actually need in a week. I make "for four" but since most things in the house are only consumed by two, I'm sending a lot of things to Aid for Friends and the freezer. But I've gotten better at that too. And, it's been great to have somewhere to look when I think, hmm, I have a little bit of buttermilk left, what can I use that in? And go back and find it. So we'll see. The blog might be coming to a "maintenance" stage. Meanwhile, there are always a few new things to try. Menu first:

Monday: slow cooker pork and sauerkraut, green bean salad, beets (tried the technique, if not the salad, from here)

Tuesday: Taco Tuesday! And in a thrilling development, my younger will now eat cheese quesadillas, so he'll be having one of those.

Wednesday: Wednesday Spaghetti--woohoo!

Thursday: leftovers (mostly pork)

Friday: pesto quinoa for the boys, fish for the parents, with veggies.

Last week:

Despite my multiple past failures with the 101 Cookbooks site, I was haunted by the Lime-Grapefruit-Ginger Juice, and on a chilly sneak-winter day, I made a half batch for myself. I lucked in to some great citrus, which was key, and I way under-did the ginger (by half maybe) and was still knocked out by the heat of it. But she was right--pouring it over a big ice cube was useful, and I loved the flavors. It's not the prettiest drink but it was great on a gray, cold day.

I rediscovered the carrot and avocado salad and wondered why I don't make this every week.

Baseball for both boys starts this week...of course pro baseball does too...it's one of the last normal school weeks for a while, between conferences and spring breaks and whatnot. So it's time to figure out the new "season" schedule. May the week bring you & yours good things...and for more inspiration, check out I'm an Organizing Junkie!

2 comments:

Mom24 said...

You cannot quit blogging! I would miss you way too much.

You always make such yummy-sounding things, it makes me feel quite boring in comparison. :)

Here's to a "normal" week. Enjoy.

April said...

I don't know if you have ever made a buttermilk pie, but when you said using a little buttermilk you have left over made me think of it. This is the recipe, it is so good!

1 cup buttermilk
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1/2 melted butter
2 TBSP all purpose flour
1 tsp. vanilla flavoring

Beat eggs slightly, add sugar and flour. The add melted butter and mix well. Then, add buttermilk and flavoring. Pour into an unbaked pie shell and bake at 360 degrees until set. (Depends on oven, but with mine takes 30-45 minutes.) I have substituted the sugar for Splenda used for baking and I can hardly tell a difference. Let me know if you try it!