Thursday, May 21, 2009

FFOF 76

Hey! VALMG is back! Click on the button in my sidebar to join in.

#1. Do you celebrate Memorial Day with a picnic, cookout, road trip or some other way?

Usually? We "celebrate" by driving home from the mountains, where we help open my in-laws' house. We tend to spend the weekend there shaking the mothballs free. Otherwise, it's a cookout.

#2. What are staples at your summer time cookouts?

Hot dogs, so my children will eat. I love cheeseburgers but we usually do chicken breasts or sometimes chicken burgers.

#3. What drink do you find most refreshing on a hot summer day?

Lemonade, or tea cooler (half tea, half lemonade). Or, of course, a frozen margarita!

#4. Share a recipe for a picnic side dish.

One of my favorite salads, because all that's involved (for the most part) is opening containers and dumping contents in a bowl.

Slaw Salad
1 bag Dole dry cole slaw mix (I am sure others would work too but there weren't too many options when I got this recipe)
1 3 oz can La Choy skinny rice noodles
1 C toasted slivered almonds (350 degrees for 15 minutes)
1 C craisins
1 small can mandarin oranges

Dressing
1 C olive oil (though I've used a lot less and been fine)
6 Tbs balsamic vinegar
6 Tbs dark brown sugar
Mix well until sugar dissolves.

Pour salad ingredients in large bowl. Toss with dressing right before ready to serve.

No comments: