Friday, January 23, 2009

FFOF 64--Not Your Usual Topics

Hmmm. A strange one this week, which should be fun!

Let’s talk about things that might not be quite the usual fare.

#1. What’s the oddest thing you’ve ever made with bread?

Besides duck food and fishing balls? Not much. But my mother's most-requested hors d'oeuvre was de-crusted white bread (she used Strohman's), with mayonnaise, wrapped around gherkin pickles and sliced in to rounds like sushi. Not that we had ever heard of sushi in the hey day of that particular party food.

#2. What’s the oddest thing you’ve ever done with mac and cheese or pasta?

Again, not much, though as Italians, these foods are sacrosanct to us. Oddest thing in our house is without red sauce!

#3. Is there a food you eat other then it is intended?

I don't think so. I do use the grape jelly/chili sauce combo in the mini crock pot for little kielbasas, and I'm not sure anyone ever thought that would work, but I'm not sure that was unintentional. And I'd imagine one could say the same for garlic ice cream, which we had at the fabulous Gilroy Garlic Festival in CA. The chocolate was (shockingly) better than the vanilla.

#4. What’s the weirdest food you’ve ever seen?

Octopus. I can't really get my mind around that as a food. And I like calamari! But the tentacles and suckers...a bit too much for me. And the strangest I've ever received was on my honeymoon...we spent the first nights on an island in Lago Maggiore, on the Swiss coast of Italy. It took planes, trains, and a rowboat to get there, so we were delighted to set our things down and head to dinner. One appetizer was "fish of the lake," described as fish caught that afternoon, flash fried, and served with a garlicky-olive oil dipping sauce. It sounded great--how locavore could you get? And then the bowl arrived. They were fresh and flash fried all right...whole, and about the size of feeder goldfish. I tried a few but the cats at the restaurant ate well that night!

Wanna play? Go see VALMG for this week's questions and other people's answers!

4 comments:

brandy101 said...

omg that appetizer (cant spell h*ors d-whatever...) of the pickle-sushi actually sounds kinda good!

#2 - Come on now girl, if you were reaallllly Italian, you would have said GRAVY ;) hehehe.

Enjoy your weekend!

Oonie said...

Brandy--
I'd hate to estimate how many of those pickle things I ate in my lifetime. And if I said "gravy," only you and maybe three other readers wouldn't have thought "brown goo on noodles? Eeeuw."
Recover well!

Corrin said...

We've used many a loaf of bread for duck food. Why is that so much fun when you're a kid? Haha.

www.corrinrenee.com

Karen said...

Trying grape jelly with little wieners ranks right up with there with the question of who ever thought to eat something a chicken laid. Crazy but it works! LOL