Friday, November 21, 2008

FFOF 56

Here we are again! Wanna play? Go here.

#1. What’s the worst tasting food you’ve ever eaten?

Hmm...a tie, between my beloved aunt's mincemeat pie (I was 10 and it had so much alcohol in it my mouth was burning!) or the hamloaf my mother used to make. I have no idea why I was so grossed out by it...it should have been a total winner. But I just found it nasty.

Texture is another whole issue...and so are looks. (On the first night of our Italian honeymoon on a teeny isle on Lago Maggiore, an appetizer was "fish of the lake," prepared breaded. I was imagining a filet. But no, it was, in fact, the fish of the lake, small feeder-goldfish sized, tossed in some breadcrumbs and flash fried whole. Might have been delicious but I'll never know.)

#2. Share a funny or embarassing story about a meal you’re made.

Oh, good Lord, where to begin? The time I found wheat germ cookie recipes to use up the wheat germ in my cabinet only to learn my wheat germ had gone rancid when it was time to add it to the batter? The time we made a pound cake for dessert for my husband's family for Mother's Day and it would have been better suited to being a brick for the house? The list goes on. I am not an accomplished cook...there is a reason we always are in charge of bringing beer to family events!

#3. What food do you burn or have problems cooking most often?

Well, I finally mastered fried eggs (new non-stick pan helped a lot with that); currently it's anything in my slow cooker, which (ironically) cooks faster than my old one. I had to chuck an entire pork roast last week. That hurt. I'm also paranoid about undercooking meat in any form and have gone through three different meat thermometers this year alone. It's amazing we're not vegetarian yet with my meat issues, really.

#4. Name two foods you’ll be eating on this Thanksgiving.

Carrot mousse and the gooey sweet potato thing my sister in law Kathy makes. As she likes to point out, in a bowl, it's a vegetable. In a pie shell, it's dessert!

Happy Thanksgiving to all, and no whammies in the kitchen!

4 comments:

djcollins29 said...

I have texture issues too.

MsTypo said...

That often happens to me - you get everything ready for a recipe, you start making it, you crave your own cooking and then half way through you realize that you're missing something, the eggs have gone off, or something else happens to mock your kitchen skills. I totally know what you mean!! :p

Karen said...

Yumm on the sweet potato thing. That sounds yummy. So, you are in charge of bringing the beer. LOL Sounds great to me.

valmg said...

I have an egg issue too