Sunday, March 9, 2014

Maybe It's Spring Now

We have our counters back--or I should say, our new counters and backsplash are in! Woo! For various install reasons we were without a sink one day and without a stove another, so there was more heating up than intended but it all worked out in the end. I am getting used to how much louder the countertops are (they are harder and so in some ways I miss the laminate but I love knowing I really can't break these).

This week:

Sunday: dinner with sister in law's family and mother-in-law. In all the other crazy of the week, my mother in law went to the hospital; she is fine but needs some major tweaking to her meds, etc. I am bringing my favorite beef roast, mashed potatoes, green beans, and a cake.

Monday: more beef. There were filets in with the frozen roasts so we have to use those up (oh darn, right?)--also celebrating the first day of my husband's new job! Roasted potatoes, broccoli.

Tuesday: tacos, of course.

Wednesday: spaghetti

Thursday: leftovers if we have them (doubtful); probably Farmer's Chicken if we don't.

Friday: cod with roasted tomatoes, rice

Last week we had the one kind of snowstorm we didn't experience this winter: a fizzle. We were due. Alas, the superintendents around here are now puppies in shock boxes with learned helplessness flags flying and they all caved and cancelled instead of trying a late opening. I didn't mind one more snow day, to be honest. We've had so many years without.

With the impending snowstorm and counter installation, I cooked ahead a good amount while I watched the Oscars Red Carpet show. I made Pacific Rim Pork and once again remembered just how easy this is--really not much more challenging than tacos. There is a slight bit more complication--the wiping out of the skillet, the ingredients that have to be mixed that night instead of in advance--but honestly this is so quick and so easy, it's ready when the rice is. Yum. The husband and older boy wolfed it down--not even a serving left as leftovers. And younger? "Didn't hate it." That, my friends, is success in this house.

I also started the soup-making of the week with the sweet potato-cauliflower soup. I roasted the cauliflower with the olive oil and garam masala and almost didn't have enough left to make the soup--it was great as a side. I will need to remember this. (Cauliflower florets, roasted at 400 with olive oil and garam masala for half an hour: my kind of recipe.) This will be the main takeaway from this one. I love everything in it but it was so earthy-tasting and lumpy, it was a challenge to enjoy. I added more water, I added half-and-half (distinctly de-veganizing but so it goes), I added more salt and pepper and garam masala but still--probably my least-favorite soup of the winter. But the cauliflower prep is a hit at least!

The Belgian Beef Stew was again a qualified success. Older boy thought the carrots were the best part (me too). Younger boy enjoyed the beef once he salted it. Neither ate the potatoes. The husband polished off most of it. It was a great snow day meal but I should have started it at 2pm instead of wasting time on the soup. (Live and learn.)

I tried the flourless peanut butter cookies recipe. Mine made more than 18 (24? Maybe? I didn't count but it was 3 sheets worth). They didn't spread out as much as hers did (but I didn't use natural pb either) and I wasn't thrilled with them. They were almost a little burned on the bottom but fally-aparty in the cookie. But they were easy and they are cookies so not really a "loss." But not something I'll rush to make again either.

This sounds so goofy but I have a tradition with Young Mr. Picky that he helps me make the taco mix. He reads, I measure and pour, and he of the sensitive tongue tries all the spices and declares them delicious. I love making it with him and love that he will always know where to find the recipe here. There is a reason this is such a popular meal with us--I think of happy moments with both boys making them!

So that's the week that is. Things are in all kinds of flux--reorganizing the kitchen and house (I am doing the 40 bags in 40 days challenge and I am up to 10 bags on day 4--this is not a point of pride but one of embarrassment), taking care of family, getting the husband set up in the new job, getting the busy spring schedule set at mine. We had one 57-degree day and it energized me-ready to go over here! Let's declare it spring. Have a good week!

1 comment:

Mom24 said...

Congrats on your counters and backsplash. Very exciting! Hope your MIL is doing better.

Spring is coming!