Sunday, July 7, 2013

Getting in to the Groove

So, here we are in July, chugging along. A bunch of my (much healthier than I am) friends on Facebook were doing the 30-Day Green Smoothie Challenge, so I joined in--what better use for all the stuff from the CSA? (If you don't feel like clicking, it's easy enough: change nothing but add a green smoothie every day.) First up: the kale I never got around to making chips out of. I started with this pineapple-kale-coconut oil smoothie since I had all the ingredients--or thought I did. My husband had used a lot of the frozen pineapple and so I replaced it with mango--that was a bit of a bummer because pineapple is sweeter and for my tastes, I could have used it. The directions were helpful--I have had issues with green smoothies before because the pieces of leaves were still so big. And I felt very virtuous drinking it. But while it says "serves 2"--one would have lasted me all week, though I know they don't taste very good after more than 24 hours so I had a lot on day one and saved the rest for day 2. Next I tried the cilantro-lime-ginger one, which I actually liked a little better. Also? I was using up my kale, which I think has a much stronger flavor than the suggested spinach, so I am sure that had something to do with it too. It did do a lot for my digestion though so I might keep it up for a bit longer and see how it goes.

Last week was veggiepalooza around here. Crack broccoli, orzo broccoli pesto (we had it for July 4--didn't fit with the color scheme but oh well), kale chips, corn on the cob, detox soup...we are clearly in the throes of summer and I at least am loving it. The kids--less so. But someday I hope their palates come around.

Swim team is awesome--the kids are exhausted and starving all the time. This sounds mean but with kids I struggle to feed or get to sleep--it's been a joy. If only they'd drink some green smoothie we'd be in good shape.

This week:

Monday: Catered by Trader Joe's. Buffalo chicken meatballs, mac and cheese, falafel for mom.

Tuesday: Tacos

Wednesday: Spaghetti of some kind (I know I am getting boring; I think I will make bow ties and do butter for the boy but a cold Caprese style pasta salad for grownups with ciglini, cherry tomatoes, and basil.

Thursday: Kids have martial arts so probably out with friends for pizza after.

Friday: Soccer game! Dad will eat there; mom and kids will do something else entertaining, probably involving the swim club, if the daily thunder and lightning does not throw us off.

Wishing you a fabulous week full of summer fun!

No comments: