Sunday, February 19, 2012

MPM--Back in the Saddle

So, when I needed distraction last week, I got it in the form of a child with a concussion. Treatment for a concussion involves "no mental strain," which means no TV or other screens, no reading, no games, and no running, balls in the air, or activities which require a helmet. Alas, Xanax is frowned upon, leading the frantic parents to come up with their own ways of entertaining the kids without damaging their bruised brains. This is not an easy feat. So, back to something semi-easy: dinner. (By the way, a shout-out to Squidoo for the only page of "post-concussion-safe activities for kids" we found but--make rope? What? What we came up with: Legos, music/CDs of kiddo books--picture books, nothing heavy, walks to get smoothies, walks to get pizza, walks to get out of the house. Everywhere suggested cooking but alas, he is not in a sous-chef stage. So, my own plans:)

Monday: We're off our usual schedule this week, so Monday Tacos, including leftover chicken from last week (see below!) which I froze (clever me).

Tuesday: Mardi Gras! Pancake supper at church (if I get my act together on tickets) or at home (if I don't).

Wednesday: Ash Wednesday so soup for husband and me and something for the kids.

Thursday: We are joining The Bitten Word's pantry/freezer challenge this week and it is way too easy. (But I also bought eggs and veggies at the beginning of the week, and will of course get milk.) The freezer is loaded with Trader Joe's Indian foods and Italian meals. I think I'm going to make space for some other stuff by clearing them on out.

Friday: Lenten Fridays = no meat and for me, no pizza (too easy). Probably pesto quinoa for kids, TJ's fettucini alfredo for us. (I'm so excited, our BJ's sells quinoa now. Score!)

I knew Valentine's Day would be crazy--two school parties, one of which I was in charge of, with mom volunteers dropping like flies (strep! pinched disc! younger child with stomach bug!) so I tried the crockpot chicken taco recipe someone linked to on Pinterest. (Must. Not. Join. Too much computer timesuck already.) Foolish, in a way, because I thought I'd end up making the beef too. But I was thinking about Things That Are Red for Valentine's Day, and boy howdy, it was so easy: one jar + leftover salsa in the fridge, plus the packet of taco seasoning that's been hanging around. Dump. Pour. Walk away.

And? It was AWESOME. Spicier than we usually do but the three of us who eat actual tacos (as opposed to cheese wrapped in a tortilla) snarfed them down and came back for leftovers. And there was plenty to freeze for next week! Score! Huge hit. I never even made the beef. My beef loving son snarfed down the chicken and begged for more. Woohoo! (Alas, that, I forgot to freeze. Whoops.)

The other huge hit from somewhere on Pinterest (BooMama maybe?) was, ahem, only a hit with me because I didn't share it. That was the mozzarella-avocado-tomato salad. My husband might have liked it but we may never know. To be fair, I didn't have enough ingredients to actually make the full recipe. But next time I do--this is on the menu. So good. But really, how can you go wrong with avocado-tomato-mozzarella? Add lemon juice, olive oil, parsley, basil, salt, and pepper and poof--really yummy lunch.

Lastly, I'm on an omelet kick. I am intrigued by the poached-scrambled eggs recipe (also Bitten Word), enough so that I had the goat cheese, but not enough to actually do the stuff needed to make them. So they might come along on Ash Wednesday, but meanwhile, I had two great omelets this weekend, one with cherry tomatoes, asparagus, and goat cheese, and the other with spinach and cherry tomatoes and goat cheese. I didn't try the fold-over omelets, just the flip-over ones, so they were pretty easy and very good. I had some basil for the top I was using up too and that was a nice change from parsley. I wish my kids would eat eggs.

We also cleaned out the garage this weekend (wow, can we rock a holiday or what?) and I found a crate of my old Mad Magazine books. They weren't ever my favorites, but the boys are all on the sofa cracking up at them. I might regret it later but for now, it's a beautiful sight to see.

Wishing you yummy meals and beautiful sights of your own! For more inspiration, try I'm an Organizing Junkie! and have a good week!

2 comments:

Mom24 said...

How scary! Hope the boy's all right.

I have a cheese wrapped in tortilla taco eater too. I'll have to check out the crockpot chicken recipe. Thanks for the link.

I'm sure you know how I feel about Pinterest...yes, it's a time suck, but I also love it for bookmarking all the magazine recipes I want to try "someday".

Hope this is a much lower-key week for you.

Kathleen said...

Wow! Get well soon. I'm so sorry to hear about the concussion.