Wednesday, December 31, 2008

End of Year Meme

Thanks to Linda at All & Sundry.

1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
Transitioned between jobs. Learned how to evaluate graduate applications. Took a Spanish class, albeit with my kids. Went to a World Series Champions parade!

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Sort of. My resolution was to see a new-to-us movie a month with my husband. We made it to June and then sort of lost track. I think maybe we saw 9 movies by the end of the year. I want to go back to our new-restaurant-per-month resolution. And get to the gym more. I made a good start in December.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Lots of friends had babies. Two cousins had kids. And my sister and brother in law adopted a newborn! But I'm falling out of the demographic, I'm afraid--it's nothing like the baby booms of 5-10 years ago.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, for the first time in a long time.

5. What countries did you visit?
In books? Lots. But my passport, alas, expired while sadly underused.

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
Less stuff in my house. Better accounting for my own work time. More muscles built at the gym.

7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
The day our (adopted) niece was born. Her c-section was moved from July 2 to July 10. But she had her own ideas and came on June 27, the day after my mother's birthday, and therefore allowing my son to win the baby lottery since he was closest to the due date!

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Completing my term in my dream job and immediately landing a new part time job with more time at home and a 40% raise.

9. What was your biggest failure?
I fear I was tone-deaf to issues my older son was having.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Thank God, no. But my dog tore her ACL today and will need surgery in the new year.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
Old Navy socks for my kids; the treads on the bottoms help keep them upright when running around inside.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My younger son until he turned 3, and Girlfriend.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Other than elected officials, I don't really want to get in to that on my blog.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Childcare. Gasoline. Food. Vacations. Not necessarily in that order.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The jobs. Visits to and from friends I hadn't seen in a long time. The beach. The surprise trip to the Madonna concert.

16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
The Spanish language music from the classes I took with my sons.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
Hmm. Maybe I need to revisit my resolutions this year.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Gone to the gym; things that both sons and I all think are fun

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Yelling at my kids

20. How did you spend Christmas?
It was great this year--less running around than ever. Christmas Eve mass, day at home, dinner with extended family, and Boxing Day dinner with my husband's family. We also visited my family over the weekend.

21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
Only if it counts in an "all over again" sense.

22. What was your favorite TV program?
Our beloved babysitter (who is so so much more to us) got me hooked on The Biggest Loser.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Thank God, no.

24. What was the best book you read?
The Ten Year Nap by Meg Wollitzer

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
They Might Be Giants Here Come the 1 2 3s

26. What did you want and get?
An immersion blender

27. What did you want and not get?
Skinny.

28. What was your favorite film of this year?
Well, that I saw this year: Walk the Line.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I was 40. My husband surprised me with tickets to the Madonna concert the week before, and that night, we went out to a fabulous dinner.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Going to the theater. More dates.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
Turtlenecks and jeans! I suppose now that my kids are out of spit-up stage I should think about expanding my options. My other theme was "rediscovering the professional wardrobe." It's been a trip shopping in my closet.

32. What kept you sane?
I don't know. Girlfriend. My husband's complete support of me getting out a few nights a month.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Did I fancy? I don't know. I was happy Britney seemed to get her act together and Samantha Ronson seems to make Lindsay Lohan a better citizen. Oh-never mind--hello, 2008 Phillies! WOOOOOOOOOO!

34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Obama-Hillary. I was thrilled to take the kids to see both and help them plug in to the wider world.

35. Who did you miss?
My mom. Of course. Aunt Jo. Uncle George. Friends from work. Kelly, Anya, Anjali.

36. Who was the best new person you met?
Some of the new Mothers & More members. My advisees.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
I still only have 24 hours in a day.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Mommies are people/People with children
Busy with children/and things that they do...
But there's a lot of things/a lot of mommies can do.
(I know my Gen X readers know this one!)

Happy new year! I won't tag anyone but if you want to play along, be my guest.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I miss you, too. (Sniff, sniff)

Happy New Year!

Motherhood101aplus said...

Yes, I am going to use your blog space for my comments.

1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
own two houses

3. Did anyone close to you give birth? 3 friends

4. Did anyone close to you die?
a neighbor/friend and a grandparent

5. What countries did you visit?
Canada

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
less chaos

7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
a date in July, my friend gave birth to twins while we were in Canada

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Expecting TWINS


11. What was the best thing you bought?
new house
14. Where did most of your money go?
moving expenses, vacations, groceries, entertainment, new used car

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Finding out we got our new house

17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
happier and probably poorer

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
spending time entertaining and socializing with friends

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
worrying
20. How did you spend Christmas?
sister-in-law's brother's house -great time

21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
probably

22. What was your favorite TV program?
soap operas

26. What did you want and get?
new house

27. What did you want and not get?
clean house

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
organized house

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
t-shirts and shorts

32. What kept you sane?
adults

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Hillary Clinton -maybe next time

35. Who did you miss?
friends

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
Friends always come thru for you

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
When I wish upon a star ...

Q Did you see the twins comment??