Sunday, January 5, 2014

The Whole Christmas Season

Unlike the Grinch, I do not hate the season, and in fact love being Catholic and having the 12 days. When I was little, I received one gift a day through the season, making me quite the envy of my peers. But I got less on Christmas, so it probably evened out. We are trying to take our 12 days kind of easy this year for all kinds of reasons, and just cozying in.

Note for next year: on the 28th, the day after all the celebrations were done, we had Crazy Jane's chicken, apples/applesauce, and a salad. It was so well received by everyone, the kids asked for seconds, and after all the days of rich party food, something simple was incredibly welcome.

I made it with an ulterior motive in mind: since Santa brought Kindles, I've been perusing all my Kindle books, including the Dinner: A Love Story book. One of the early recipes in there is chicken pot pie with sweet potatoes, so it made making that a breeze. I used a Trader Joe's pie crust from the freezer and it was a good cold-rainy-Sunday meal for those of us who would eat it (that would be the grownups).

So, one of the reasons for the healthier food kick is that my husband has shingles on his scalp. It was driving him crazy and the pain is just awful at times, which is horrible to live with in the first or second person. This is the second time this year he's gotten horribly ill just in time for a weeklong vacation. Hmm. So food that seems to whisper "there, there" and soothe is the food of the moment.

Monday: Epiphany! We have no traditional Epiphany food traditions but I will make an ersatz king cake (which is to say, a bundt cake--shaped like a crown, right?--with alas no other meaningful things with it), and tacos (since Tuesday we are busy).

Tuesday: Lego build, woo! Of course, this assumes that the roads are clear. We, like most of the east coast, are in quite a post-snow cold snap as I write. And as much as I love Lego builds, I am not risking the family's safety for one.

Wednesday: spaghetti

Thursday: Dinner: A Love Story shrimp-tomato-feta sounds amazing to me in this cold snap. No idea what the kids will eat but there are always apples in the house. (I'm kidding. Sort of. I feel like you can add an apple to anything and make it a meal.) They will probably have quinoa with pesto.

Friday: probably freezer food.

So far, by the way, we are loving the Kindles (we got the entry level tablet styles) for what we wanted them for--reading the Kindle books I've collected (knowing I'd go this way eventually) and letting the kids play. The Silk browser is kinda lousy for most things (Facebook, blog updates ahem), but the FreeTime mode is exactly what I was looking for for the boys, who are 8 and 10 but fairly media-shielded, and there is no camera, microphone, etc.

Wishing you an easy settling in to the new year!




1 comment:

Mom24 said...

I hear ya about apples. I'm like that with bread, though I wish it was apples. I figure if I make something they won't eat, rare today, I promise it gets better, they can always eat the bread.