Sunday, September 7, 2014

Summer Recap into Fall

We are off and running in to our final year with two in the same school. I will miss these days! But I am thrilled I won't have to miss them yet. And a fun new twist this year: they are old enough to bike to school! (School's rules, not ours.) They have really enjoyed doing that and we love that they get the exercise and fun time with friends. We still go with them because of traffic; sadly we trust our kids more than the grownups on the route. But I think later in the year, once we get them across the one major dangerous intersection, they will be able to take it themselves the rest of the way.

Because of the home renovations earlier this year, we did not get to go anywhere or do anything extravagant this summer but it was a great one nonetheless. The kids' camp moved to the school building a block from our house and the kids loved walking and biking to camp for all five weeks. Then after a week off, it was two weeks in the mountains--a little long for my homebody but how lucky we were to have the time with Grandmother and cousins! Then the last two weeks had lots of pool time and day trips...it worked out well. Summer 2014 in a list:

Summer 2014 

Make milkshakes at home
Explore college woods
Yogurtland 
Oreo soak in half and half lay on wax paper freeze 1hour for mini ice cream sandwich 
Popsicles
Franklin Institute
$1 movies
1000 lap tshirts
Write to C
Write to E
Camden Aquarium pref with friends
Beach beach beach
Try Joe's pizza

Not on list but did it anyway

Bobby's Burger Palace
Ice bucket challenge
Lots of books (for 3 of us at least)
scientific study subjects (earned $40 each!)

Did not do:

go see Philadelphia Freedoms play
McFaul's/Baltimore 
Hardy boys
Make a video game
Dog elevator

Added in August: did not do but move to next year/days off:

Diggerland 
Zoo

This week: we met our new academic advisee; he is 13!!! I cannot imagine being brave enough to send my child away at age 13 though of course I know it has been done for years. Snuggling up my boys a little tighter and welcoming this one even more warmly.

Today: picnic for the new students. I am bringing the Giada orzo and Greek dip.

Monday: pulled pork sandwiches, mashed potatoes, green beans

Tuesday: Tacos

Wednesday: Spaghetti

Thursday: pulled pork (might make it bbq), sweet potatoes, cucumber salad

Friday: We will see but I am leaning to the sausage bake.

This was the week the freezer finally left. I miss it but only a little. I am working hard on clearing out the decently sized freezer we have in the kitchen to make it more...realistic. Some of the things in there--pie crusts, mixes for drinks no one in our house consumes--are a waste for us. We can do better. But right now, it's time to enjoy the gorgeous day. Wishing you a great week!

1 comment:

Mom24 said...

Your summer sounds wonderful. I'm glad for you. Two weeks away sounds perfect, though I understand it feeling a little long for your homebody.

My dad got sick and ultimately died this summer, one month ago today. That's why I haven't been around.

What is an academic advisee? I could never send my kids away at 13. Hard enough to do at 18. ;)

Take care.