Sunday, July 10, 2011

MPM--Summertime

Last week, I did my usual effort at keeping out of the kitchen in summer and it worked pretty well. This week, we'll see.

Monday: Dinner from the CSA box. we didn't get to grill, so I did Crazy Jane's Chicken in the oven, and the box has corn and tomatoes, salad (or more of the barley-replacing-farro salad)

Tuesday: Taco Tuesday (trying again with the overnight beans)

Wednesday: Leftovers (Nacho Night), and another effort with my little crockpot: this white bean and pesto dip.

Thursday: Pizza out, then ice cream night with my moms' group

Friday: Collapse in a heap? Not sure what we're doing this Friday...might be at the in-laws', otherwise we'll grill. I have some boneless pork chops in the freezer.

From last week...

New recipes I tried: one was from my old loved cookbook, The Splendid Table's How to Eat Supper. It was the scallion-dill pilaf. It was fine, but maybe I didn't have enough oil, or my dill was old, or something. It was good, but not amazing. Still in search of a way to dress up rice.

Another new-to-me, inspired by the CSA: Smitten Kitchen's Sour Cherry Compote. I got a bag of sour cherries and didn't know what else to do with them, and this looked good. And oh, mercy, it was. I had some with Greek yogurt, and drizzled on cake, and finally said, I don't want to dilute this further and ate the rest spoonful by parceled-out spoonful. Yum. This was a precise mix of Flavors I Love and I will make it again.

I did an old favorite, Nikki's Healthy Cookies, and now I'm inspired to move on to Carrot Oatmeal Cookies. I don't know if my tastes are changing or I'm just getting luckier but I am having more hits that misses with Heidi's recipes these days. Yum.

We were inundated with cucumbers this week, so I made the White House chef's Cucumber Soup, which I loved, even if no one else did.

And I made a huge good faith effort at more green smoothies...but I just can't do it. Back to regulars. And we've had some great ones lately...the secret is mango.

Have a great week and check out I'm An Organizing Junkie! for more great recipe ideas!

3 comments:

Cooking with Cristin said...

that sour cherry compote looks so good!
i would love if you would come visit my blog and check out my Menu Plan
Enjoy your week
From Cristin To Mommy

Mom24 said...

Green smoothies? Um, no.

Mango? Interesting. Frozen or fresh?

Oonie said...

Frozen from Trader Joe's. Yum! They also make a frozen mango puree that is smoothie-ready!