Sunday, March 20, 2011

MPM--Behind Already Somehow

I hope you all had a fun Saints' Week! We celebrated St. Patrick (with Irish soda bread and reading Jamie O'Rourke and the Big Potato to the first graders) and St. Joseph (with zeppole--yum). But somehow we ended up off schedule menu-wise and I have a ton of food leftover from last week. So nothing impressive this week:

Monday: leftover hamburgers/cheeseburgers, broccoli, salad, potato salad

Tuesday: Taco Tuesday; I have a large sweet potato so will probably do the veggie version with black beans for grownups

Wednesday: ham, pineapple, carrot salad, spinach

Thursday: Leftover buffet

Friday: Salmon, rice, spinach

The hit of the week last week was the slow cooker veggie curry. I served it over rice with Trader Joe's Naan, and could happily eat this several nights a week. (And I might. It made a lot.)

The Mediterranean chicken was also a hit, but less of one because I used crushed tomatoes (instead of whole or diced) but more importantly, they really smelled metallic and it was hard to get past that for me. My husband, however, loved it, and with the crushed instead of diced, it made an excellent, healthier alternative to meatballs or meat sauce. I had tons left so I froze it. Same with the chicken breasts for Hot Chicken Salad...I just didn't get there last week. Part of it is, at 5pm, my kids are ravenous. So I throw fruit at them (well, at their plates) and do what I can, but it doesn't encourage them to try much at "dinner" later when Dad gets home.

For more inspiration than I have, try I'm an Organizing Junkie!

1 comment:

Mom24 said...

I love Jamie O'Rourke and the Pooka too. Tomie de Paulo is a genius.

I wonder how the Mediterranean Chicken would be with sun-dried tomatoes? Whole Foods has some on their antipasto bar that are wonderful--not completely dried up but more soft and chewy with a bright flavor. I love them on pizza.

You eat so much healthier than we do. I know I should work on that. It's hard to overcome what you like though. I'd love the recipe for what you do with the sweet potatoes and black beans. Sounds like something Jason might like.